My other homes

My Website: Ashmae.com
My other blog: birdsofashmae.com
My instagram: @birdsofashmae

Monday, November 10, 2014

On Distractions and Finding Your Space

My making was listless today, both in mind and in physical representation. I have some suspicions as to why, but also a lot of questions.  When I was in college I had a studio for painting.  It was a glorious space and once you got in the building and up into the big room with partitioned cubicles of drywall, no one knew you were there, besides the occasional janitor that tucked his head past the door to pick up a trash can.  Those were good nights where often I would stay until I could see the morning light peeking over Timpanogos. I played Sigur Ros and Belle and Sebastian loud into my headphones and painted, drew, stood back to look, sat on my metal stool and thought and got to painting again.  I knew it was a luxury then because I loved nearly every minute of my hidden maker's space, but boy, I did not quite understand what a luxury until I moved into a small apartment and had two kids.  I love my kids and I would not trade them for art making.  I am not an oppressed stay at home mom.  (I sometimes feel like I need to wear a sign around my neck here in Palo Alto that assures people of this fact,) but man, what I wouldn't do for a space that was all mine to create.

A very small space would do, but just one that didn't involve fingerprints in my painting by the next morning.  But, I need more than a literal space, I need a mental space that is quiet.  My life now sometimes feels like I am in an echoey room with a thousand bouncy balls pinging off walls and jumping in corners and there is not enough time between rumblings of the room to put them all at ease, rolling quietly around the floor.  Sometimes the rumblings are cause of my children, sometimes my husband, sometimes other work, sometimes neighbors and their kids, life in general, time, sometimes a house that needs to be cleaned, and sometimes, it is simply me.  Have I become afraid of the quietness and what I might create, or fail to create there.  Sometimes I do find myself with a chunk of time during naps or after the kids go to bed, and like a little squirrel, instead of sitting and ruminating with the thoughts in my brain, I scamper around.  I go to instagram, Facebook, news articles, a tv show, a podcast, a phone call with a friend... anything but the refuge of my own body and mind.  Sometimes I even work, write and paint in the midst of these interruptions, but I'm never fully present in my making when this happens.  It's like I start down a good path in a cozy little woods, but I keep walking back to check that it's still light out, until it finally does get dark and I find that I've piddled too much time wondered what might be, or who might be doing what, and now it is dark and I have to be done.

Why?!  I'm serious.  Why?!  I can't be the only one that this happens to, right?  What do you do?

It does take a concerted effort to get into the space of real and sincere creation for me.  It is a learned and practiced skill that demands the attention of all of me, and I want to be in the place because I want and need to create with sincerity, but yet, I find myself syphoning off pieces of my thoughts, energy, speech to places that cannot pay off a decent return.

I think of my best space of creation like a softly lit, white room that is immune to criticism, comparison, self-doubt and fear of failure.  Oh, it's a good place to be, where I feel quite myself, but right now, my biggest challenge is finding the courage to step in and shut the door tight, turn the music loud and paint those white walls until they say something.

Below are three pieces that I made in my studio.  I love these pieces because I can still remember just what I was thinking about as I made them.  They are each about a person I loved, and I felt like I wove our story right, even for just a few moments because I allowed myself to feel some very real things, both hard and wonderful, and then I made from that place.




6 comments:

  1. Here here on all of this. I'm trying to find my space too, physically and mentally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,
    Since moving to the UK, this concept of physical and mental space has always been an issue and concern of mine. I have not felt like I have been able to develop my artistic side to the extent that I had before, because of the limited space and time I have now. Before moving, I had the big open studios in the Richard's Building. Then while teaching I had my own key to my own large room that I could access any time I wanted. I had space to move and dance as big and wide as I wanted. I feel like our situations and experiences are similar. Although different mediums of creation, I appreciate the overlap that we can have emotionally, and the motivation you continually give me after I read your posts. Some day our kids will be in school, and husbands will be settled in their academic careers (haha, settled as either of them could be), and we will have more moments to reflect and concentrate on art, writing, and dance, without as many distractions. Right? However, I do feel that the changes in my life also effects what I create. Melding the two can be fulfilling and create deeper pieces or works, but it is harder to achieve them without the sufficient space and continual time.
    Since I don't have those luxuries anymore, I find myself using other resources that I probably wouldn't have had motivation to use otherwise. While up in Scotland, I found it very satisfying to go outside to somewhere quiet and dance in the grass or sand. I started filming my dancing, and editing (choreographing) it into a piece to then show online, for a more web based audience. I find myself in community halls after singing group with the boys, trying out a dance move. Or sneaking up to the stage at the church while Chris is doing clerk work after church. These spaces are not ideal, and not what I would choose to create in, but I don't really have a choice at the moment, and am trying to make the most of it.
    I have found that the change in physical space has changed my choreography and pieces of work. For this past solo, I figured it all out in the living room, and therefore the solo ended up being featured in a small space on the stage. I tweaked it when I had some room in a studio before the show, but the majority of it had to be planned in my small room at the house. This has definitely changed the outcome of my pieces. It has been fun to see the way they end up, although the process is harder.
    Mentally I have struggled getting into the flow of creating. It is convenient that the object I need to use for my creation is my body. I can internalize a movement, or plan something out on myself, and don't have to worry about the boys getting into paints, or smudging up the canvas. However it is hard for me to practice and rehearse those little moments I have into full clear projects, because I need space and time to ponder and move. I enjoy it when Chris occasionally has a night where he is away from the house. I put the boys to bed, and that is my time to stay up as long as I want without distractions or interruptions. I also like to carry around a notebook that I write down small inspirations or moments in, so when I do get the chance to choreograph, or dance I already have some creative direction, instead of starting from scratch.
    I read this quote from Martha Graham the other day, and I thought it pertained to us.
    “There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open.”
    I think as long as I am doing small things to keep my mind open and my creativity flowing, there will come a time when I will have space and time to do all and more that I desire to do right now. Much love

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Camillle, You are too good. You always know the right and wisest things to say to me, and I imagine others. I really have looked up to your example of being willing, able and happy to create in the very situation that you find yourself in. I have seen great things come of it. I love that you are moving forward and creating pieces in your space. I need to learn to be better about all of this, but it's learning, right? Is it true that I will see you in a few weeks? I'm looking forward to talking. Also, that quote at the end! Do you mind if I share it? It's so right and empowering. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Use the quote to your liking. Here is the article I was reading it from... http://jamesclear.com/quality-comparison

      It is funny, I wrote a response a couple days ago, and then left it for a moment, and it got erased by little fingers. I'm glad I had to write it again, because the first response was filled with a bit more emotional irrationality that probably was a bit exaggerated.

      We will be coming out to you during AGU in a month, so I will private message you and we can discuss more plans for a night.

      Delete
  3. The last space I was able to find was on a Sunday night. The kids were finally in bed and my wife had also fallen asleep early. We had enjoyed a wonderful day together as a family and I was sitting in our kitchen surrounded by the carnival of life that I call our house. There were stacks of dishes and pots waiting to be cleaned from our delicious home cooked meal. There were crayons and paper trimmings all over the floor from varied art projects produced throughout the day. There were papers, magazines, mail, medical journals sitting on the counter that had been patiently awaiting my attention. I had a million thoughts running through my head: " I should really call this person", " I need to use this kid-free time to clean up the house", "I should prepare a few things for the upcoming week", plus all of the other "shoulds" and "need-to's" that often weigh on my brain. But, as I do so often in the times that most overwhelm me, I blow them off! I pulled my guitar down and started to play. I started to play my old favorite songs. I started to mess around with new chord changes. I start to sing along using stream-of-consciousness sounds and words that might give an idea of what the song would song like if it actually had lyrics. I whipped out the recording microphone and hooked it up to the laptop so I could capture the fleeting musical creations that would pop out of me. I was able to get into that zone where I could play and sing without a thought as to who would here me. When in such a zone, I am able to emote, reflect and deal with a lot of which is inside my head and my heart. I realized that I was giving my carnival a sound track. I found myself creating in praise of and in-spite of those "things" that surrounded me. It may not have been a pretty sight or have even sounded that great to an outside listener, but for me it was beautiful and needed and real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I love picturing this because I've seen a version of it before. It really is so important, especially as a parent, to let things just be and get to a place that makes us alive. Ultimately, I have to remind myself that my kids need a mom who is excited and vibrant more than they need a perfectly clean home. Hope to see you guys soon!

      Delete